Beetroot & pearl barley risotto with roast grouse
You can make the risotto on its own without the grouse, substituting soft goats cheese and using vegetable stock
- 2 grouse (whole, we will be taking the breasts off later!)
- 150g pearl barley
- 2 medium size beetroots (roasted whole for 45 minutes and diced into small cubes)
- 2 shallots (finely diced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- Glass white wine
- 75g grated Parmesan
- 150g butter
- 75ml red wine vinegar
- A handful of blackberries
- 75g sugar
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- Handful of kale (I am using purple stemmed, but you can use any type or Cavolo Nero, if you choose)
- 75g girolles/chanterelles (cleaned)
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c.
- In a large pan heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Fry the shallots and garlic until softened, don’t brown them
- Add the pearl barley to the pan and stir to coat with the oil and shallots.
- Add a glass of wine to the pan and let this bible away to almost nothing.
- Cover with chicken stock and cook until tender (approx 45 minutes). You can now leave this to cool.
- For the pickling liquor place the sugar and vinegar in a pan add 75mls of water, the star anise & cloves. Bring to the boil then leave to cool.
- Cut the blackberries in half and add to the liquor, coating thoroughly.
- In a frying pan add a tablespoon of oil, heat on hihi and add the whole grouse. You want to brown these all over. Pay attention to them, don’t let them overcook or burn.
- Place the browned grouse into the oven for 15 minutes.
- After the 15 minutes are up, take them out of the oven and allow them to rest in a warm place.
- Return to your pear barley and cover with 75/100ml of stock. Heat through until the stock has been absorbed.
- Take the breasts off the grouse and keep warm.
- If you have time cut up the carcass and add to the pan you cooked the grouse in. Deglaxe with a little red wine and then pour in your stock. Reduce this to thicken.
- Add the beetroot, kale, parmesan and butter to the pearl barley. Mix well.
- Remove the bones from your stock pan.
- In a frying pan add a nob of butter. Let the butter foam before adding your chanterelles/girolles . Cook for 3/4 minutes
- Spoon your the risotto on to your plates. Lay your grouse breasts on top, add your blackberry (not the pickling liquor) and mushrooms.
- Finally spoon some of your reduced stock over the grouse, and finish off with a drizzle of olive oil.